Skip to main content

Is it legal to deny me as a pro se respondent in appellate court, the right to settle the trail transcript?

Long Island City, NY |

Appellant has had a copy of the transcript since (At least) may 29, 2013 shown in their NOTICE OF MOTION to enlarge appeal for no less than 3 months. By their order to Show Cause dated February 11, 2013 , appellant moved for a Stay pending appeal and in that order to show cause stated appellant already contacted the court reporter for the transcript. In appellants notice of motion (May 29, 2013) , it is stated” appellant just recently obtained a copy of the trail transcript with transcript must not be settled with respondent who is a pro se litigant who is unfamiliar with the settlement process. Is it legal to deny me as a pro se respondent the right to settle the trail transcript?
Thank you for your time and response.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I am attaching a link for you. It's from the 3rd Department, and you're probably located in the Second Department, but I'm sure the rules are similar. In this Pro-Se Manual, there are forms for pro se litigants to settle or stipulate to a transcript, so no, I don't agree with what the appellant is saying. I also believe they're taking advantage and asking for too much time unless they have several thousands of pages of transcripts (I just had a case with 3,000 pages of transcripts, so it does happen). I hope this is helpful. You can also call the Appellate Division's clerk's office and ask questions. If you must go pro se, then you must, but you are much better off getting an appellate attorney so that you are not failing to raise the proper arguments and so that you don't raise the wrong ones. Appellate work is very specialized and is difficult for lawyers let alone litigants. Good luck to you.

If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly. The answers provided here do not, under any circumstances, create a lawyer-client relationship and are provided to supply a general answer based on the facts as given by the author. The above attorney is not giving advice but is answering the question in general terms. At all times, the above attorney will advise the author of the question to seek independent legal counsel. The above answers should not be relied upon by the author or by anyone else for the authoritative answer to the question; consult with your own lawyer for your legal questions.



thank you for taking the time to elaborate on your answer. I especially like that you suggested to raise the proper argument and don't raise the wrong one. I also like the fact you gave me a link.

Ronna L. Deloe

Ronna L. Deloe


Thanks so much! Best of luck to you.


Who said that? I don't think CPLR section 5525 says you can avoid settling the transcript if the respondent is pro se.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer