Skip to main content

Is it legal in the state of Oregon for a tire dealer to sell tires that have been discontinued for over 10 years?

Vancouver, WA |

My 22 year old daughter recently purchased 4 studded snow tires, on her way to Denver from Washington state she had a blow out. Car had to be towed to nearest dealer and car was not driveable, on inspection, serviceman told us the tires were discontinued about 14 years ago,and should not be on this car! Tire dealer says there is nothing he can do for us?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I would consult a lawyer for help on this especially if she was injured


Consult a local attorney quickly to preserve evidence because it sounds like you have a claim.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


If there has been no personal injury to your daughter, she may wish to file a small claims action against the dealer who sold her the tires. Research has shown that as tires age, they are more prone to blowouts and other types of failures. There may be some industry standards which would discourage dealers from selling old tires.

Your daughter should secure the blown out tire as evidence. She also should probably take the other tires off of her vehicle and buy new tires . There are dating codes on the tire which she should review with the new seller. She should make sure her tires were recently manufactured. Your daughter may also wish to file a complaint with her state's Attorney General's Office, Consumer Fraud Division.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Small claims court.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer