Is it legal in California to sell medicine which should be exported to other country?

Fremont, CA |

I bought 15 bottles of USANA Active Calcium for my parents from amozon.com, 3rd party vendor, found 4 of them were labeled as "Imported by USANA xxx SINGAPORE LTD". It's obviously products that should be exported to Singapore. And their Supplement Facts are different from those of US products, at least 3 elements were dismissed. In other words, it's obviously inferior than the US products. Is it legal to sell medicine like this in California? Is it a fraud to sell such 4 inferior bottles together with the rest 11 bottles?

Best Answer

Calcium is considered a vitamin or supplement. It is available over the counter, so it is most likely legal for sale as you describe. Whether the products you purchased are legal for sale in the U.S. would require someone to review the product, labeling, etc.
You could try contacting the FDA.

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Based on your description, I am not clear if the "medicine" you are referring to is a pharmaceutical drug, or something else. Also, the fact that it was imported by a foreign company does not necessarily mean it is not proper for US sale. Why don't you contact the seller and ask them to answer your questions.

Perhaps, you should contact the United States Food & Drug Administration and make inquiry.

I hope this is helpful.

John N. Kitta
Fremont

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.