Is it legal for the Police not to give me a copy of a police report or tell me the names of the officers in the report?

Bakersfield, CA |

3 Officers came to my house and took my truck & released it 2 days later to my abusive husband. The truck is registered in my roommate & my name. The tow company gave me a copy of the receipt to who they released the truck to with note where the tow company received a call from the police stating they made a mistake on the impound & to release the truck with ID only to my husband. I went down to the police station to get a copy of the report & was told they couldn't give me a copy of the report because I'm not the victim, but I believe different. I asked then if they could at lease give me the names of the 3 officers that came out to my house that day. I was told they can not & the case was closed & asked me to leave. Is that legal? How can I get a copy of the report or officers names?

Best Answer

One way you can try to obtain such information is by submitting a Public Records Act Request, pursuant to the California Public Records Act, to the subject agency/entity. Below is a link to a sample letter.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you, I submitted the formal requested to the Police on a Tuesday. I received a call from the Police on the next Tuesday telling me there will be a copy of the report waiting for me at the front desk. I'm not sure what it says yet but at least I am able to get a copy thanks to your help.

Malosack Berjis

Malosack Berjis

You're very welcome.

In the police report I finally got (thanks again) it only mention and alludes to 2 Officers, when in fact there was 3 Officers (have video of to prove). Then the reporting officer states that he talked to me when in fact the 2 officers never talked to me, the investigator from San Bernardino was the only one I talked with or to or even spoke at all. Beside the incorrect and made up stuff they put in the report. Is there anything I can do or anyone I can file a complaint with.

I am at a loss at how the police can take a vehicle registered in your name and not your husband's name (presumably titled the same way) and then return it to someone who is not the owner, and claim that you are not entitled to get a copy of the report. Under the facts as I understand it they have committed a theft of your vehicle, unless it is titled in your husband's name and somehow registered in your name. You should spend some money to buy an hour of an attorney's time to see if the attorney can get to the bottom of this and get your truck back.

Have a local lawyer file replevin action