Skip to main content

Is it legal for officers to pull me over for having paper plates...

San Gabriel, CA |

i think the reason why they stopped me was because she seen my friend that was with me had a bald head. i guess to the officer that probably meant he was trouble which he isn't..but after they card him they felt stupid because he has no record and never been in trouble with the law. so after they harassed him they came and told me to step out of the car and searched me even before they ran my identification. would i be able to fight this case due to the fact that they stopped me with no probable cause even though they found a little bit of meth. that i had on me? I also went to jail but i got bailed out

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Pull you over, yes. Once they see the temporary registration in the window, they should let you go.

The opinions rendered herein are based on general principles of law. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and there are often numerous factors which can render advice or an opinion inapplicable. You should NOT make any decisions about the handling of a legal matter without first directly consulting with an attorney about the particulars of your case.


A traffic stop can be no longer than necessary. Any thing else and it becomes an outlawed fishing expedition. As soon as they checked the paper plates you should have been free to go. Now go get them and good luck.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer