Skip to main content

Is it legal for my 17 yr old stepson to live with his aunt is my husband allows him to ?

Tucson, AZ |

My husband and I are tired of our 17 yr old running away and not wanting to follow our rules. He thinks all this is a game and laughs in our face about it all.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Absolutely! Provided that your husband has sole custody or if he and the boy’s mom have joint custody and mom agrees, he absolutely can send him to live with his aunt, no problem! Of course, if he won’t follow the rules at your home, chances are not good that he will follow the rules at his aunt’s house either, but such may make life a bit easier for you and his dad.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.


Make sure you send him with a power of attorney giving them authority over all aspects of his life.


I have a 17 and an 18 year old and know it can be difficult to live in the same home with an uncooperative teenager. Your husband can allow his son to live with another family member but will most likely still be responsible for the son's actions until he is 18 years old. He can send a power of attorney so the aunt can make some legal decisions on his behalf, or he can even allow her to take legal guardianship.

I agree with the other attorney that if he is not behaving in your home, he probably won't behave in someone else's home. He may need the opportunity to figure things out on his own without your genourosity of everything that he takes for granted.

This answer is intended to only provide general information and does not establish an attorney- client relationship. You may wish to consult with an attorney regarding your specific case.