Is it legal for employers to try to make you pay out of pocket for mistakes not made by you

Riverview, MI |

my wife works at a hotel...a mistake was made(not by her) and a room wasnt cleaned the manager is try to make the housekeepers pay out of pocket for the room my wife refuses now shes getting written up

in MI...it says nothing about this in her employee handbook

Sounds really BOGUS. These employers will try to
UNDERPAY, OVERWORK and DISCILPLINE for
ANY REASON . . . IF THEY CAN GET AWAY
WITH IT. They want you to pay for another's
mistake. Just say "NO" and fight the write-up.
Do you have a union? Is this a MAJOR HOTEL
CHAIN -or- a small local hotel? I've been helping
employees for 25+ years as a union steward,
chief steward and attorney. CALL ME to discuss.
Good luck!

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.

If she is not paid (or $$ withheld against her will/wrongfully) she can file a complaint with the wage and hour division of the State of Michigan -- if the employers actions are wrong and it is found intentional I believe, but am not sure, that she can get triple pay.

If she is "written up" what does that mean? What penalties? is she unionized? in other words does it matter..

Please note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information provided. If you want to contact me directly and retain my services you may through my listing on this site or at 248-901-0750 or james@weineresq.com.