Skip to main content

Is it legal for an international student to freelance (when he was outside the U.S) and get paid for this job when he came back?

Boston, MA |

Is it legal if an international student worked on a freelance project when he was outside the U.S for a vacation, and after he came back to the U.S the company transferred the money to his U.S account ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


That is not illegal. The work was performed overseas and the money also earned abroad. The mere fact that the earnings were transferred to the US bank account does not make it illegal in any way.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


If the money was earned for work done outside the U.S., it does not impact immigration status.


The U.S. does not try to prevent people who are outside of the U.S. from working, just inside the U.S.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


The issue here is whether you are going to report this income. Are you going to file a tax return in the US? Or in your country? In any case, it is wise to look for the advice of an international tax expert. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer