Is it legal for an employer to make employees pay crazy prices for broken plates/glasses in a restaurant?

Cleveland, OH |

I work in a restaurant thats family owned. There are many problems with labor laws and what not and im considering going to the BBB. My one main question is if an employee drops or breaks any type of glassware is it legal for the employer to automatically deduct the money out of the paycheck? Its not only a dollar or two, its 10 dollars for plates and glasses and some things are upwards of 50 dollars. We as employees never get a chance to sign an ok for the deductions and also never get to see a receipt for the replaced broken item. Also, the owner prints paychecks in his back office of the restaurant so he handles all deductions.

The BBB is not where you should complain, complain to the State of Ohio at the website below: