Skip to main content

Is it legal for a high school to discipline a student athlete without talking to the student or the parents?

Centennial, CO |

We were told that an incident was done with only to be informed by our child that they were just told they were suspended from playing. When we talked to the AD he stated that he figured in this day an age the child (17) would tell us and he didn't have to involve us. The principle made this decision without talking to my child because we had told her she could not question her without a parent present. We were told that meant they were not allowed to talk to her. My child was not directly involved and were are told we will not get the names of the players who are accusing her. Do we have any rights and does the school have an obligation to inform the parents of any action against their minor child?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This is going to depend totally on the school district policy. I am not sure what school district you are in being in Centennial - Littleton, Cherry Creek, or possibly even Aurora. However, each of the school districts have set policies on how they can and will discipline athletes for misconduct. Understand that this is QUITE different than suspending or expelling a child from school. Students have a right to an education under the law. They do not have a right to participate in extra-curricular activities. Call an attorney who deals with school district and set up a meeting with the principal and the superintendent if possible.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.



This is Jefferson County. My concern is the lack of parent contact and how one parent gets preferred treatment because she worked with the principle at another school.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer