Skip to main content

Is it legal for a citizen of the UK to enter in to a domestic partnership with a US citizen?

New York, NY |

I am an American citizen living in Paris with my English boyfriend in a long-term, committed relationship. We've recently decided we would like to move to New York City, where I will be attending graduate school and also working. If I go to New York first, and establish residency and employment, is it possible he might join me there. We aren't quite ready for marriage, and instead are wondering if it would be possible to enter in to a domestic partnership. Would it be possible to do this if he were on a tourist visa? Would a domestic partnership give him the right to stay with me, and work? For clarification, we are an opposite-sex couple. All information and advice is greatly appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There is no prohibition against doing that on a tourist visa. No, you cannot file for him to stay in the U.S. if you are not married. He may be eligible for a longer tourist visa based on your domestic partnership.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


If you establish domestic partnership, he will be able to come to the United States with you on a B-2 tourist visa. He will be able to request 6 month extensions of the visa as long as you are in the United States, but a B-2 does not provide employment authorization. A B-2 also requires nonimmigrant intent, meaning he will have to demonstrate that he is not planning on coming to the United States permanently.

This email is for general information purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer