Is it legal for a 18 year old to date a 15 year old in new York?

Carmel, NY |

I am 14 now and my boyfriend 17 , his birthday is in October and mine is in November . when he is 18 I will be 15 can he get in any legal trouble at all ? we live in new York

Are you asking about dating? or about sex?

Are your parents happy with this?

This guide might have information you'd be interested in.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/New-York-Age-Consent

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs. www.figgardenlaw.com

Dating is not illegal. The legal age for consent to sex in NY is 17.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Dating is not illegal, however, having sex would be considered statutory rape. Be careful.

Yes. You cannot consent to the various types of intercourse at your age.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice which requires all the details, nor creates an attorney client relationship.

You should probably get the approval of both sets of parents before you date an older boy. If you have sex it is statutory rape since you cannot consent until you are 17. He would be arrested and possible be a registered sex offender. Unless you are very mature for your age it may be wise to find a boy your own age since this relationship can lead to him being prosecuted and since you may not be able to know who is appropriate for you at your age.