Skip to main content

Is it illegal to talk to a minor (16+ years old) about sex online? Nothing explicit or detailed.

Philadelphia, PA |

This happened several months ago and the person was unaware the other person was a minor. The minor has since turned 18 years old. The talk was not sexually explicit but questions such as if she had sex were asked and other very general not detailed questions. No pictures or videos were exchanged. Could this be charged as a crime? I could not find any similar cases? Would the police raid the user's house or get a search warrant on something like this, if this is all that happened and it happened several months ago and the other person is 18 now?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Depends on your state's Penal Code. I would advise you to pay for a consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. That's why the chat rooms and other things involving strangers are dangerous.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at


This is potentially very dangerous activity. You also do not know the person with whom you were onversing was a minor. It could be a cop. Philly has many good atttorneys who handle this tye of case, state and federal. all one. Be frnk about the conversations. Otherwise the suggestions he or she provides are worthless singing to the choir.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


Police raid homes usually if there is some kind of child pornography, or if the person is engaged in an act that involves a minor. I would recommend that you contact a lawyer to discuss this matter further.

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from Kotik, P.C. The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Law Office of Michael Kotik, P.C., | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102