Skip to main content

Is it illegal to post Photos of others on your facebook account, without permission?

Sydney, FL |

My sister has taken a photo of me that i do not want on facebook. No matter how many times i ask her, demand, to have it remove, she just keeps refusing. I want the photo gone, as soon as possible. So I'm hoping that there is some kind of privacy law against it. I'm 16 years old, and want this photo, of me, removed. please help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Facebook has an entire section on how to remove information. It states: "Access and control over most personal information on Facebook is readily available through the profile editing tools. Facebook users may modify or delete any of their profile information at any time by logging into their account. Information will be updated immediately. Individuals who wish to deactivate their Facebook account may do so on the My Account page. Removed information may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time but will not be generally available to members of Facebook.

Where you make use of the communication features of the service to share information with other individuals on Facebook, however, (e.g., sending a personal message to another Facebook user) you generally cannot remove such communications."

If you can't get it removed by adjusting your privacy settings, then you need to contact Facebook directly and tell them to remove it.

Bonnie Riggens
Law Office of Bonita M. Riggens
669 1st Ave. N.
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Phone: 727-898-1401
Fax: 727-823-7351
Employment law representation: Contracts (Noncompete Agreements, Severance Negotiations), Defamation, Discrimination (Age, Disability, Gender, Pregnancy, National Origin, Race, Religion), Family and Medical Leave Act, Overtime Law. Privacy Law, Retaliation and Whistleblower Law, Sex Harassment, Unemployment Compensation, Unpaid Wages, USERRA

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer