Skip to main content

Is it illegal to pay more than have of your net pay to child support?

Toronto, OH |

more than half is going to child support $720 for one child, and when i am unable to pay my own bills to keep utility's and a house for my child . do these things not factor in . i have my child just as much as the mother she makes more then i do , what can i do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Federal law limits withholding orders to 50 – 55 % of income. However, this says nothing about the actual support order – just the amount that can be properly withheld from your wages. The remainder of the order still must be paid to comply with the Court Order.

You really need to consult with an attorney to have the amount of the Order reviewed and adjusted. There are a number of factors that go into the Ohio determination of appropriate child support. If there are large child care expenses, this will push the numbers up considerably. However, you should not be left homeless in order to pay a proper support order. Your investment in an attorney will save you funds and hardship over the long run.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Mr. Piper's response set forth above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Piper's responses to all questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information based upon the his understanding of the facts stated in the question, and are for the general educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. Also, a particular case may involve additional facts and circumstances which might invalidate some or all of the concepts provided in this answer and therefore you should not rely upon this answer in any individual situation. In order to offer legal advice about this or any similar situation, a qualified attorney would likely need to consider many factors not stated in the question and would need to question the potential client in order to clarify the specific facts operable in that case. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney in your state. Mr. Piper is licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio, and may be contacted directly via email at: