Is it illegal to have your foreign passport mailed to you in the US from outside the country?

Dallas, TX |

I had sent my Canadian passport abroad for a certification copy. It was mailed back to me registered mail to the US from Canada. From checking the tracking number it looks like it's stuck now in customs.

There is no dutiable items in the registered letter as far as I know.

Filed under: Immigration

no. It is not illegal.

No, this is fine.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

it is not illegal, but sometimes (although have not seen this lately and never with Canada) they put a stamp in the passport and it looks as if you got an entry stamp when in actuality you never left

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

No, it is not illegal, but it is not advisable to do so. Passports are valuable documents that are often stolen. The hold up is likely to be certain it has not been stolen or mailed for illegal purposes.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info