Skip to main content

Is it illegal for someone to post pictures of you on the internet without your permission

California |

My ex boyfriend took nude pictures of me in a private place (home) a while back. I just broke up with him and he posted my pictures various places. I have found two sites to far. On one he posted naked pictures with my phone number and I have been getting calls and being harrassed non stop. On he posted a thread with pictures of me with my clothes on and there are conversations between him and guys where he was asked to post naked pictures of me and did, but now they have been removed. There is also a conversation where he is sending links to more pics of me in exhange for "green." Is this illegal? Is there anything I can do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sounds like stalking to me, report it to the police and get a restraining order.


As Mr. Levy stated it is a criminal matter and you can file a police report. It is also a invasion of your privacy and if he is letting viewers assume you are available for sex for money, it is defamation. You have the grounds for a civil suit for defamation and invasion of privacy. Make sure to download these so you will have proof in case they "disappear" from the web.You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.


The cops are wrong and likely just do not know what to do and cannot be bothered trying to find out. The pictures may belong to your ex but posting them with your phone number is stalking. Try speaking with a local agency that handles domestic violence and/or stalking issues for some ideas.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer