Is it illegal for parent to use childs social security number to get credit?

Fredericksburg, VA |

my son's father used his social security number to apply for a store credit card. Is he allowed to do that?

There is usually a block on the applications wherein one states under penalty of perjury that the credit application information is correct. It likely is not.

Is the child a minor? If so, he or she cannot enter contracts.

These circumstances suggest that maybe father's credit is bad so he is going to use the child's, which will be equally bad in short order.

yes he's 9 and his father lives in pa. he changed the year on his birthdate to 1985

Michael Christopher Miller

Michael Christopher Miller

You need to contact the creditor. You may want to consider subscribing to an identity theft protection service. Your son could find himself unable to qualify for student loans, etc. when he turns 18 because of a ruined credit report.

1) Yes, in the circumstances you described in your post and comment.

2) No, not in the circumstances you described in your post and comment.

Mr. Miller has provided you with sound advice, please heed his words.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

I agree with Mr. Miller's answer. I think the parent is committing a fraud on the system by using a social security number that is not his.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.