Skip to main content

Is it illegal for my lawyer to discuss my pending criminal case with my mother instead of me when IM 28 yrs old?

Flowery Branch, GA |

Won't contact me or will not return calls or emails. But has no problem texting my mother about my pending drug charge when IM 28 yrs old and more than capable to comprehend what's going on

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Unless you have given permission, it is a serious ethical violation for a lawyer to discuss your case with your mother. The lawyer can be disciplined by the state bar for such conduct. Additionally, good lawyers answer emails and calls in a timely fashion.

Contact tyour lawyer in writing and advise him that any future contact with your mother will result in you making a state bar complaint. Also advise him that failure to return calls and emails will also result in a complaint. If he continues, fire him, get new counsel, and make teh bar complaint (which must be in writing).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


It is highly improper for an attorney to discuss details of a case, particularly issues in a pending case, with anyone other than the client or an authorized representative of the client.

Send your attorney a written complaint by Certified Mail/ReturnReceipt, informing him that any further breaches of attorney/client confidentiality will result in his termination from the case and a complaint to the bar.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.