Is it illegal for my employer to fire me after seeing my facebook profile?

Davenport, IA |

Hello, I worked for a company that has a strict policy regarding drug use. I was at a party a month ago where there were drugs present and there were pictures taken of me, not using drugs, but sitting next to some paraphernalia. These pictures were uploaded to facebook and my employer saw them and fired me. Is it possible for them to do this?

This is a developing area of the law and I am not aware of a case directly on point in Iowa. However, I expect that your employer's decision to separate you from employment would be upheld if challenged. You seemingly do have a good argument for unemployment benefits though and if you lose at the initial level, I strongly encourage you to seek legal counsel and appeal.

Sarah Reindl

Nothing herein should be construed as legal advice or establishing an attorney-client relationship between us. There may be time limits applicable to your claim and you are encouraged to seek legal advice formally. This post is intended to be generally informational in nature only.