Skip to main content

Is it illegal for an 18 year old and a 15 year old to date ???

Zanesville, OH |

Me and my boyfriend have been dating since I was about thirteen and there really hasn't been an issue of age until now. We are not doing anything sexually and I don't plan to. Is it illegal for us to still date. I don't want him getting into any kind of trouble over this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is only illegal if your parents do not want you hanging around with him. If they do not want him around you he could be charged with Contributing to the Delinquincy of a Minor. It is also illegal if the two of you engage in sexual contact. This does not just mean sexual intercourse it includes any sexual activity.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
1370 North Fairfield Road
Suite C
Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
(937)426-4000 phone (24/7)

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner


It's not dating or associating that's illegal. It's sexual activity that usually creates the legal problem. However: The age of consent in Ohio is 16 as specified by Section 2907.04 of the Ohio Revised Code. However, there exists a close in age exception where a minor 13 or older can consent to sex as long as their partner is less than 18 years old.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer