I am currently 15, and the person I am seeing is 13. She asked a good question that was "If we last that long. What will we do". I had no idea. So I thought I would ask someone who knew more than me. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day, to answer my silly question.
In Georgia, the minimum age to consent to sexual conduct is 16. Kissing and hugging would not be illegal.
PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME with followup questions. Instead, you may make a comment below, which will be sent to me automatically. If you need an attorney to assist you, please search in your local area, or click the "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of the page. I am active on AVVO and answer questions only as a public service. I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.
In Georgia, the age of consent to engage in sex is 16, so the 15 yr. old is at terrible risk right now. The 13 yr. old cannot legally consent to even kiss or hug romatically which could be considered child molestation under the present definition. Under-age children can certainly be prosecuted as an adult and often are in sex-related crimes.
However, there are other ways to get in legal hot water.
● The Top Ten crimes that an adult who has a "relationship" with a child MIGHT be charged with:
10. Interference with the Custody and Control of a Parent (Misdemeanor)
9. Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor (Misdemeanor)
8. Lewd or Lascivious Conduct or Communication with a minor for immoral purposes (Misdemeanor)
7. Providing Alcohol to a Minor (Misdemeanor)
6. "Grooming" a Child (Felony)
5. Sexting and/or Solicitation of a Minor (Felony)
4. Possession, Production, and Distribution of Child Pornography (Felony)
3. Loitering, Criminal Trespass
2. Kidnapping and/or a violation of the Mann Act (Felony)
1. Rape and/or Sexual Abuse and/or Molestation of a Child (Felony)
● Couple of thoughts for the “older” person or child:
• Children over 12 years of age can be tried as adults and sentenced accordingly for certain crimes involving touching the body of a child. One of the most serious crimes involves the penetration of the female vagina, by hand finger or otherwise. The penalty if convicted: Up to Life in prison.
Watch out for "Romantic Fantasies" children can imagine things that are not done, but get falsely embedded in memories can be share with friends, parents or cops.
Children often seek revenge when the older child drops them for another sex target.
Children often experience regret after certain sexual activity and relieve the regret by disclosure to a parent or other adult.
While natural ‘curiosity” exists in children, particularly early pubescent and pubescent children, that curiosity usually leads to some behavior that is criminal.
My practice is primarily involved in the defense of high-profile sex-related cases and includes lawsuits against public officials throughout the State of Georgia.
Years licensed, work experience, educationLegal community recognition
Peer endorsements, associations, awardsLegal thought leadership
Publications, speaking engagementsDiscipline