Is it illegal for a 16 year old female, to date a 21 year old male without sexual relations?

New York, NY |

Best Answer

Yes, but keep it clean. The crime of statutory rape is a serious offense and carries with it drastic consequences. Tread carefully.

It is legal in NY.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

It really depends on how the relationship develops. Just dating is not illegal.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Would kissing be an offense?

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

The standard is whether his actions would likely be "injurious to the physical or moral welfare of the child", you being the "child". Kissing would not generally be that BUT it is the totality of the circumstances that would determine the issue. Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq. Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12' Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo 1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200 Garden City, NY 11530 516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f) Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net