Skip to main content

Is it good idea to change state , so my asylum case will be reviewed sooner in another uscis office.

North Hollywood, CA |

I live in LA and i applied for Asylum 6 month ago, but i've been still waiting my interview appointment! When some people from other states passed their interview withing 1-3 month since they applied!

So i guess that something wrong heppend in los angeles USCIS, because several people i know have been waiting for a year and more(they are from LA too)

1. And won't moving to another state results in lost of my case or somthing like this, would you suggest to move and use a chance or wait more? 2. What state is faster in consediration of asylum cases. thaaaannnk you so much!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends where you are thinking of moving to. California and New Jersey, especially San Francisco are usually the favorites. By and large though LA is ok, not great but not as bad as Houston for instance where there is more denials and approvals. In general though asylum applications have a low approval percentage. So, it all depends where you want to move your application to. Good luck.


Changes state in order to select an asylum office may lead to a denial of the asylum claim and negative credibility determination.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Keep in mind that if you are not in status, and your asylum application is not approved, you may be placed in removal proceedings. If this occurs, San Francisco may be your best bet, and Atlanta your worst.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer