Is it common to have a seven page settlement letter? Will the settlement letter describe the injury and what happened?

Glen Cove, NY |

I am not sure why you believe your question is standard. A settlement package is as long as it needs to be. Mine re typically 3 to 4 pages depending on the amount of treatment and injuries. Mine always list the injuries and what the doctors have determined. It also includes the relevant medical records and authorizations. Maybe you can put your question into a better context for us to assist more.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Different lawyers do it different ways.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Ask your lawyer.

Are you asking about a release and/or settlement agreement, which resolves a case when the parties have an agreed upon settlement - or a settlement letter/ specials package/ medical package which is sent to the adjuster in support of your claim.

I must admit that this question is not as "standard" as you think, especially where we aren't sure what type of case this is.

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.

Seven pages seem long for a personal injury case, but if there are multiple defendants with crossclaims, I can envision one being that long.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

Seems longer than what is typical. Was it double spaced?

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Many of mine are far longer. Depends upon the issues, facts, and style of the lawyer. I usually get very detailed, so that if case goes into litigation, I have most of the info organized and ready to respond to the deft's typical discovery requests.

The document that settles a personal injury claim in every case is a release. A correct release includes valid language extinguishing the claim forever. The issue is not the length of the document, but rather whether there is language that is overbroad and overreaching, for example, releasing any and all future claims arising out of unrelated distinguishable causes of action.

My office has a valid release that has been accepted by major injurance companies that fits on one page. I have seen voluminous wordy overly lengthy releases that are questionable.

No lawyer can tell you whether the document to which you refer is in your best interest without actually reading the document itself. Here is more on releases: [Blue-Link-Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

different attorneys do it different ways. we usually do a settlement package which is bound like a book. it contains the demand, meds, the accident report, a suit if possible and other stuff like that. but a seven page letter detailing the injuries, etc, seems appropriate.