Skip to main content

Is it better to put names of children on investments prior to your death or better not to?

Hobbs, NM |

My husband has a will and will leave one-quarter of his estate to his two sons (to be divided equally). He is wanting to go ahead and place their names on some investments (which would total the one-quarter now along with his name. These are children from a prior marriage and we have no children between us. I am hesitant to do this because I am afraid the next step will be to go ahead and give them their inheritance. They are 54 and 45 in age. Need some legal advice.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is dangerous in the area of estate planning to answer a specific question about one limited aspect of a couples' estate without knowing all of the facts and circumstances regarding all assets, heirs, persons to whom the parties wish to leave money and property and what documents have and have not previously been executed. I am not ducking your question, I am indicating that the two of you have the need to consult with an estate planning attorney to go over the entire plan before you can figure out what do do with any one piece.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.


The prior attorney offers sound advice. In addition, be aware that there are income and estate tax implications when gift giving is contemplated. So the tax aspects need to be explored here as well.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients throughout the state of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He is rated as an AV Preminent attorney from Lexis-Nexis Martindale Hubbell having the received the highest possble rating in legal ability and ethical standards. In addition, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.