Skip to main content

Is it a personal injury from hypokalemia, kidney and bladder infection from pharmacy error? How serious is this situation?

Phoenix, AZ |

I received Hydrochlorothiazide instead of a pill for anti itch. I ended up in emergency for hypokalemia and a kidney and bladder infection. I still have headaches and every time I think about it it makes me want to cry. I had to get three IVs pumped into me and on bed rest for a few days. I also missed time at work.

When they doctor prescribed me the drugs there were no drug interactions. However when the pharmancy made the error, there ended up being two drug interactions, one of the interaction was Hypokalemia.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will have to defer to the opinions of medical professionals for an evaluations of the seriousness of these conditions as they relate to you. It would be important to know whether a doctor believes the wrong medication caused the symptoms you experienced.

If the pharmacy was negligent in dispensing to you the wrong medication and caused your injuries and monetary damages, you may have a valid claim. You can contact local personal injury attorneys in your area that handles pharmacy malpractice. You can aid this process by obtaining your medical records relating to you ER visit. You will have a better idea of the merit to any case you may have after you consult with attorneys. Start your search on for attorneys in your area.

This website contains general information about legal matters. The information provided by Jacob Regar is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. The legal information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Jacob Regar makes no representations or warranties in relation to the legal information on this website. You must not rely on the information on this website (including Jacob Regar’s response to your question) as an alternative to legal advice from your attorney or other professional legal services provider. No attorney-client relationship is created through the exchange of information on this website. If you have any specific questions about any legal matter you should consult your attorney or other professional legal services provider. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on this website.


If the pharmacy gave you the wrong prescription, they are liable for the damages it caused to you. I have a number of similar cases going right now. Get an attorney and pursue the pharmacy.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.


When a pharmacy makes an error by "mis-filling" a prescription, and the error causes injuries to the patient, the patient can bring a claim against the pharmacy for falling below the standard of care. The value of such a case depends on whether the resulting injuries can be direcly tied to the mis-fill. Most attorneys who practice in this area (medical malpractice) offer free initial consultations. Also, anyone making such a claim is well served by keeping a coyp of the doctor's prescription, the original presription bottle, and, if possible, at least one of the "mis-filled" pills.

Disclaimer - We have not created an attorney/client relationship. Please do not consider this legal advice addressing your specific case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer