Skip to main content

Is it a crime to log into someones facebook and email accounts and change their passwords

Marysville, WA |

My sons 14 yo ex girlfriend has been harrassing my son (he is 15)since they broke up over a week ago. She is going on facebook and sending people messages that say he sexually harrassed her and to delete him or beat him up (this is untrue, she broke up with him because he would NOT have sex with her) and she has now change his email password and facebook password so he cannot access them and is putting up horrible messages. The girls father just says "she would not do something like that" but I have copies of emails and chats between her and some of her other friends where she admits to doing this. I am not sure what course of action to take. He is mildly autistic and has become very anxious and depressed since she started all of this

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Though I should say that do not practice in Washington, your state appears to be among the jurisdictions recognizing a criminal complaint against actions constituting computer trespass. You may contact your local law enforcement authorities for instruction regarding how to file a complaint in your area.

Depending on a number of other factors, there may be other methods by which you can effect a take-down of your son's facebook page (DMCA, etc.), and to that end I would suggest you contact an intellectual property attorney in your area to discuss your options.


This is definitely a violation of Facebook's policies and your son shoudl report this rigth away to them so they delete HER account, or at least restore his access to his account.

I'm only licensed in CA. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


RCW 9A.52.110 - 130 address the crimes associated with Computer Trespass. You should probably contact facebook. You may also have a cause of action at civil law. you should probably speak with an attorney.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer