Is it a chance that the judge will just extend my probation. Will my probation officer come to court with me.

Glen Ellyn, IL |

I got to court in two weeks. I violated my probation for the first time. I'm in dupage county. I'm on probation for a misdemeanor dis orderly conduct. I'm a full time student and I have a job. I failed a drug test.

The Probation Officer is required to be present at the VOP hearing. At that time you will have a change to present any mediation factors to seek a probation reinstatement. In my professional opinion, that effort will require a competent defense counsel as I have not seen too successful efforts by the pro se defendants.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Your probation officer will be in court. The outcome of the hearing will depend upon many factors, not the least of which will be the recommendation of your probation officer.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

Does having a job and being a full time student help any?

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

It may or may not help and will depend upon the PO and the court. Being a student and working full time is no excuse for a dirty drop.

I agree that your probation officer will be in court and his or her recommendation will influence how the process goes. The state will file the violation and could ask that an additional bond be set. The burden of proof on a violation is just the preponderance of evidence unlike the criminal trial beyond a reasonable doubt. If this is your first violation the court may just put you on a tight leash and have you drop more often with the condition that if you drop hot again you're going in. You should have a defense attorney with you to represent you during all phases of the violation.