Skip to main content

Is it acceptable not to hear from your lawyer regarding status of personal injury case for 5 months, Also unreturned calls?

Milwaukee, WI |

Personal injury case. Received reinbursement for out of pocket meds only during first year. Now going on 3 years, and no status report.

+ Read More

Filed under: Personal injury
Attorney answers 7


You should immediately meet face to face with your attorney & fully discuss the progress of your case.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


A lawyer should maintain appropriate contact with client, respond to reasonable requests for communication promptly and a client should maintain a professional relationship as well.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Ask for a sit down with counsel -- Monday!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Best bet is to call your lawyer first thing in the morning for a status update. If he is unreachable, contact the disciplinary board, and they will get to the bottom of this with lightning speed.


If you haven't already done so, schedule an office conference with your lawyer as soon as possible. You may want to mention when scheduling that appointment that you have concerns regarding the statute of limitations.

Cold-calling a law office and playing phone tag with a busy lawyer can be a frustrating experience, so scheduling an office or phone conference is the best way to go.

Good luck.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.


Some lawyers want you to contact them regularly to give them updates and to request updates on your case. If you are contacting your lawyer and you are not getting a response, that is not acceptable. I would call the lawyer's office to request a meeting, which your lawyer should be more than willing to do. If you are not getting a response to that request, I would send a letter to the lawyer, outlining your attempted contacts, and your concern with the lack of Response. My experience is that if a letter is sent, you will be getting a quick response.

The information you obtain from this posting, and/or the act of sending an e-mail to this site and viewing this posting, are not intended to and will not create an attorney-client relationship. The information you obtain from this posting is not, nor is it intended to be, specific legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own particular situation. The material in this posting is not intended to be advertising, but it is instead meant it to be general information only.


Make a written request to the attorney and ask for an accounting of the case. Have the letter sent with delivery confirmation. If the attorney does not get back to you within a reasonable amount of time after it's sent, contact your state bar association and make a complaint.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer