Skip to main content

Is is too late to hire a lawyer after repsonding to papers served by my child's father?

Jonesboro, GA |

I was served papers for visitation and child support modification from my son's father. I repsonded to the papers and I want to get a lawyer now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You still have time to get an attorney. Although you have answered the petition/complaint filed against you, you can still hire an attorney. To allow the attorney you hire to be in the best possible position to help you, I would contact an attorney as soon as you can. Be sure to bring a copy of the petition that was filed against you as well as the answer you filed to the attorney. Having that information at your initial consultation will enable the attorney to better serve you at the time.

I would encourage you to contact an attorney as soon as you can. Our firm would be glad to answer any questions you have.

The information provided is only a general answer based on the limited facts stated in the question. This answer does not in any way constitute an attorney-client relationship. Should you wish to hire an attorney, our firm, Singleton & Singleton, LLC, would be glad to help, as we offer legal counsel in family and criminal law. Feel free to contact our office at 770-227-5300 or visit our website at


It is not too late to hire an attorney to handle your case. The sooner you hire an attorney, the better as your attorney will be able to amend your answer if necessary and begin the discovery process. Hiring an attorney before your first court date would also be beneficial.


Yes, you have the right to retain counsel...and it would be wise to do so. Schedule a consultation with an experienced family law attorney. If you are unable to afford an attorney, call your local bar association for an attorney referral. Here is the contact information:

Clayton County Bar Association
Address: P.O. Box 125 Jonesboro, GA 30237
Attorney Referral: (678) 467-6881
Phone: (770) 477-3252
Fax: (770) 473-5937

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as nor does it constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Do not rely on this answer in prosecuting or defending against any criminal or civil legal action. Speak to an attorney in your area about how to protect yourself and your interests.


It is absolutely not too late to hire an attorney. You should, however, hire one as soon as possible.

Lindsay Reese
Attorney at Law


It is not to late to hire an attorney to represent you and the interests of your son. I would advise you to 1) Consult with and retain the most experienced and qualified family law attorney that is available to you in your area ASAP and 2) provide the attorney with ALL of the paperwork you were served with and a COMPLETE copy of your answer to the Visitation and Child Support Modification Action. Please take this Modification Action SERIOUSLY, an adverse ruling from the Judge could significantly change your Son's life! I hope this information has been helpful! Good Luck to You and Your Son!

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.