Skip to main content

Is Immigration still doing the the ten year bar for illegal immigrants?

Denver, CO |

I was punished 10 years ago with the 10 year bar for entering illegally, I came back illegally before those ten years where over . I have never been deported or arrested , my husband is a US citizen so can Immigration still punish me ? And if they can is there any way around it ?

my question is " can immigration punish me with the 10 year bar again if I reapply for the green card ?"

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

The general rule is, if you come to the US illegally before that first 10 year bar is over, you get punished with a "lifetime bar". You can get this forgiven but only after 10 years outside of the US. So, it seems like you have a lifetime bar. I suggest that you speak to an immigration attorney in person before you apply for anything from immigration. Good Luck.


You need a consultation with an attorney. I have no idea what you are trying to ask.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


You definitely need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney. The facts you present are confusing.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


If you came back illegally, you have more problems than just the bar.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


They can punish you with a lifetime bar. Speak with an attorney about how you MAY be able to overcome that bar.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


In short, yes, immigration is still enforcing the ten year bar in applicable instances. That said, because you apparently violated the 10 year bar you are likely subject to a lifetime bar. You may be able to get past this but will likely need to wait 10 years before requesting relief. I would suggest that you speak with an immigration attorney to see what your options are based upon additional information that is not provided in your question. I would suggest you not submit anything to immigration until speaking with an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer