Is illegal U-Turn traffic ticket a non-moving or moving violation?

Chicago, IL |

It is a mover.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Excellent answer!

I don't practice in IL, but clearly, your car was moving, right?

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

On the contrary, I don't presume that you were making an illegal U-turn at all, but your question, by its very nature, assumes your car was moving. In fact, your question even presumes (1) you made a U-turn, and; (2) it was illegal. I presume neither, I only opine that if you are making a U-turn, illegal or not, your car is moving.

Ted Harvatin

Ted Harvatin

All the attorney meant is that if you are convicted he thought it was a moving violation. Which it is, as a moving violation is one for which points are assigned.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

Exactly correct. Thank you.

If you believe that by one asking the question whether an illegal u-turn ticket is a moving or non-moving violation presumes that they (1) made a U-Turn, and ; (2) it was illegal, then I feel sorry for your clients. You have never had a client come to your office and state the cop wrote me a ticket for speeding but I was not speeding? You are the one being presumptuous. Every attorney answered the question well, even Mr. Haravtin who came to your aid in a comment, except you.

Moving.

If you were cited for an illegal U-turn, you were cited for a moving violation.

When I answer your question on Avvo, it DOES NOT establish an attorney/client relationship between us; however, if you're interested in discussing your individual situation, please feel free to reach out to me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Moving violation.