Skip to main content

Is going in front of a judge with no lawyer for grandparents visitation rights advisable? We have no funds to pay a lawyer!

Henderson, NV |

Mother denied any contact with my grandson and left me with no other way to see him with out filing for grandparents visitation rights. The child has a disability and the mother is using his problems for her agenda for custody.There are alot of problems and problems still exist even though cps has closed the case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your situation is a bit vague; the answer to what appears to be your first question is no, it is not advisable to go before a court without an attorney.

Much of the law governing grandparental custody and visitation is set out on the Child Custody page of our firm website, at

You should probably seek consultation with an appropriate family law specialist. I would suggest starting your search with the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, the Nevada chapter of which can be viewed at

If you really cannot afford counsel, the local Pro Bono provider is the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, which can be called at 702-386-1070 (or see their information on the web at,com_jcalpro/Itemid,3/extmode,view/extid,15/). Those that take pro bono cases take them after they have been screened, and assigned, by Legal Aid. The Reduced Fee Panel sponsored by the State Bar can be reached at 702-382-2200. Additionally, there are free consultations offered on Thursdays at the self-help center; volunteer attorneys provide 15-minute consultations, for free, on family law questions. For those that wish to attempt self-representation, forms are available at the Clark County self-help center website, at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer