Skip to main content

Is Child support in Washington State mandatory?

Orondo, WA |

I am disabled and cannot work yet the judge has set child support payments. I have no way of making money to make the payments. So every couple of months I get dragged back into court and the spouse gets a judgement for past due payments plus interest. Now they want to have another hearing and make me pay for the attorney fees because I am not paying child support that I cannot afford. My only income is state assistance. The child support set is more than I recieve.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In Wa. state, both parents are required to financially support their children -- end of story. If the parents won't do it, who will?

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


Counsel offers you good advice. If you are however ordered to pay more than you receive, you need to go back to court for a modification. You will have to help support your child.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


I agree with the previous answers. Parents are required to support their children and the minimum support level is $50 per month per child. If you are seeking to modify your child support obligation, you are required to petition the court for a modification or adjustment. Until the court changes the transfer amount, you are required to pay according to the child support order.

Peter J. Abbarno practices in the State of Washington; primarily in Thurston, Lewis, and Cowlitz counties. The response is limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. No response to any posted inquiry shall constitute legal advice, nor the existence of an attorney/client relationship.