Is a verbal lease agreement binding in New Jersey

Mays Landing, NJ |

on a month to month lease and the landlord is telling me that I cannot move having given the required 30 day notice.

they are telling me that I have a verbal lease until december 2011. My lease expired in January of 2011, I have rented from month to month, I was going to move out once before but the plans fell through and they allowed me to stay. There is no written lease contract and I provided my 30 days notice, verbal and written. I will be sending a certified letter to the original landlord as well because I do not have delivery information on the current landlord. Written notice was in the form of a text message which has been saved in my phone along with their response.

Verbal leases are binding. If the prior lease expired, you are a month to month tenant and need to give 30 days written notice (via regular and certified mail).

MARY TOM, ESQ.
HUNZIKER, JONES & SWEENEY, P.A.
Wayne Plaza II
155 Route 46 West
Wayne, NJ 07470
Phone No. (973) 256-0456
Fax No. (973) 256-4784

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm. For legal advice, please contact and retain an attorney of your own choosing.