Skip to main content

Is a text considered a written notice?The decree does not specify.

Houston, TX |

I sent the x a text notifying her that we now live over 100 miles away and have elected the alternate visitation schedule. She said a text is not a written notice and demanded an email or written letter, and refused to accept the text. The divorce decree does not specify. It just says "written notice."

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Text is written notice.

I offer free consultations and am quite familiar with family judges in Harris County and nearby counties.


Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and office located in Harris County. His phone number is 832-207-2007 or 713-510-4500 or his email address is listed below.

Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


I'm not sure you're reading your divorce decree properly. There should be a section that directs you to give written notice to the court as well as your ex wife if you change employers or addresses. Obviously you can't give notice to the court by email or text. The language for notifying both your ex and the court should be in the same section of the decree and therefore, presumably subject to the same rules.

Within that notice, I would include the notice that you are now electing the alternate visitation plan.

I would not try to parse this too carefully for a number of reasons. First of all, if you are required to give notice and all you do is text, how do you expect to prove that you gave notice if the court asks you to prove it? Are you going to try to introduce her cell phone into evidence to show that she received it? That's not going to work. A certified letter the return receipt gives you back a green postcard showing that she received the letter and giving you the proof you need to show that you conformed to the court's order.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer