Skip to main content

Is a student handbook (college) a legal binding document?.

Louisville, KY |

Daughter wants to change residency to live in her college hometown. Handbook states to be a commuter, you must live with a parent or legal guardian in the neighboring counties. Otherwise you must live on campus. She is 20 years old....can they force her to live on campus? As a child over 18, I would expect she can move and rent an apartment on her own? Excerpt from handbook below: The College requires all unmarried (those with no dependent children) full-time undergraduates to live on campus. Commuting students are exempt from this policy if living with parent(s) or legal guardian(s) who are over the age of 21 and reside in ____________________counties. (3) If you do not apply to live off campus you will be housed and charged to live in a campus facility.

+ Read More

Filed under: Education law Appeals
Attorney answers 1


If this is a private college or university, the school can lawfully make rules for student residence. Students who wish to attend the school will follow those rules; those who find the rules unacceptable should choose another school to enroll in. It's not that the Handbook is a legal document. The issue is that a private school has the right to condition enrollment on rules that are not unconstitutional or violative of public policy. This rule breaches neither of those standards.

Almost certainly the school has an administrative appeal process through which your daughter can request an exception or exemption from the residence requirement. Details of that policy are ordinarily found in the Student Handbook, deep in the web-site, or through the Dean's office.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.