Skip to main content

Is a misdermeanor 487(a) a crime of moral turpitude?

Huntington Beach, CA |
Attorney answers 4


Yes, grand theft (Penal Code 487) is a crime of moral turpitude, even as a misdemeanor.

I don't understand the "What does it content" question.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.


487(a) is a crime of moral turpitude. Crimes of moral turpitude can impact your application for citizenship. You are advised to consult with an immigration attorney before commencing your paperwork.


All theft crimes are crimes of moral turpitude. A crime of Moral Turpitude tends to show that a person has failed to show their duty to society. Theft crimes, such as PC 487, tend to show that a person is untrustworthy and almost always are a crime of moral turpitude.

If your question regarding content concerns what exactly is PC 487(a) and NOT what is a crime of moral turpitude - as found in the penal code section 487(a) is:

Grand theft is theft committed in any of the following cases:

(a) When the money, labor, or real or personal property taken is of a value exceeding nine hundred fifty dollars ($950), except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), grand theft is committed in any of the following cases:
(1) (A) When domestic fowls, avocados, olives, citrus or deciduous fruits, other fruits, vegetables, nuts, artichokes, or other farm crops are taken of a value exceeding two hundred fifty dollars


A conviction for Penal Code section 487(a), even as a misdemeanor is a crime of moral turpitude which has negative immigration consequences. If you have already been convicted or pled guilty to this charge and you are facing immigration problems you should contact a criminal attorney that specializes in immigration-related criminal relief as soon as possible to see if your conviction is impacting you and see what can be done to clean up your record. If you are facing this charge, your case is still active, you should have your lawyer do what he can to avoid the conviction and make sure he or she understands your immigration status and takes that into account in defending you.