Skip to main content

Is a green card different from a visa?

Puyallup, WA |

To work in the United States, I don't know if I need a work visa or a green card.


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


yes, but green card and immigrant visa are the same. Non immigrant visa is different.


A green card gives "permanent" permission to work and live in the US. Work visas are in generally temporary and have limited time to be able to work in the US. An "immigrant" visa allows someone to come to the US to live permanently.

If you "like" this answer, please visit our website

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


I agree with my colleagues.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.