Is a 1st offense DUI a class A, B or C misdemeanor in the state of Connecticut?

Bristol, CT |

There was no accident involved and I attended alcohol education classes. It is my first and only offense and happened in 2008. I am asking because I am applying to a police department and as long as you have no felony or class A or B misdemeanors you are eligible to apply.

Do you have a conviction or did you have the charge dismissed after using the Alcohol Education program? If dismissed you don't have a conviction. If you pled guilty and got probation then you pled gulty to a motor vehicle violation which carries up to 6 months in jail. It is not a felony or a Class A or B misdemeanor although it carries the same penalty as a Class B misd.

This is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is absolutely NOT legal advice that you should rely upon when making a decision. It is general information about the law in Connecticut. You need to consult with an attorney who will ask you all the facts necessary to give you specific legal advice for your situation.

Attorney Black speaketh the truth.

Attorney Black is correct. The first DUI exposes you to 6 months, though prosecutors seem to refer to it as a "violation".... the reality is that it creates the same exposure of jail as does a class B misdemeanor .... therefore, if it walks like a duck, and it talks like a..... oh well you know...

Attorney Bonanno's answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should carefully consider advice from an attorney hired and who has all facts necessary to properly advise a client, which is why these answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.