Skip to main content

Is a $7200 settlement from an auto insurance company enough?

Wenonah, NJ |

I was hit by a car last year(the other driver was 100% at fault) I have 5 minimum/mild bulging discs in my back. I'm a stay at home mom so I don't have lost wages and I only had minimum out of pocket expense for medical. Should I accept this settlement or contact an attorney. BTW I didn't have any disc injuries prior to this accident although I would see a chiropractor on a monthly basis.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8

Best Answer

Many auto accident cases in NJ settle for around $7,200.00 or below. Many auto accident cases end up with the injured person getting no compensation. Some auto accident cases settle with the injured person getting more than $7,200.00.

Based on the limited amount of information set forth above, any answer by any attorney would be almost pure speculation. It would depend on the type of insurance you carried (specifically whether the limitation on lawsuit option applied), the amount of pre-existing injuries or medical treatment you had on your back, (requiring a review of the prior records and any prior diagnostic tests on your back) , the amount of treament for the current back issues, and most critically, an assessment of the results of the diagnostic tests (X-rays, MRI's, CT-Scans, EMG, etc), what doctors your treated with for this accident, whether you are still treating, the amount of damage to the car, the insurance company on the other side, how you present as a witness, your comfort level in terms of going to court and/or trial if need be, your own desire to get this behind you, the extent to which you need the settlement money now, whether a doctor would be able to provide a permanency certification (if one is needed in your case), your current limitations, how much the other insurance company knows about your prior chriopractic treatment, and more, including what an attorney would charge you to take over the case from here until settlement.

An experienced auto accident attorney can help you evaluate all of these factors. Doing it on your own is becoming more popular these days with the internet and the availablity of legal resources on the internet (like this one for example), and for some areas of the law, primarily document based matters, this works ok, but for litigation (car accident cases, slip and fall cases, medical malpractice cases, etc.), it is almost impossible to do this on your own.

The $7,200.00 offer might be a good offer, it might be a bad offer. However, my gut tells me from my experience of dealing with insurance companies over the years, that there is a greater chance it is a bad offer, then a good one.

Each case is fact senstive, so all answers should be viewed as general advice only, and should never replace a thorough and in depth consultation with an experienced attorney. Further, an answer should not be seen as establishing an attorney-client relationship.


I am sorry to hear about your injuries. The value of a case depends primarily upon the medical records and treatment that have occurred as the result of the crash. In my opinion, however, $7,200 would be woefully inadequate to compensate you for your injuries. Understand that it will be a much harder task for an attorney to shepherd your case and maximize its value now that you are so far out from the accident. At the very least, I would consult with a personal injury attorney licensed in New Jersey who can take a look at the medicals and see what can be done. Good luck to you.

This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. To get legal advice, consult an attorney in your local area or the area where the issue is located. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response is based on the limited facts provided, and without any independent investigation of the author. Given additional or different facts, the response would likely change. The attorney providing this response is licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and you should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction if it is outside those jurisdictions.


Depends on which type of insurance you carry and the exact medical findings. Check with a personal injury lawyer. Call around.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


This seems very low. But check with a personal injury attorney. I agree with my colleagues answer.

Leonard R. Boyer, Esq. 201-.675-.5577. Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


It is extremely low. Insurance companies frequently take advantage of individuals without an attorney. A personal injury attorney pays for itself by assuring you get maximum value for your case. The injuries you describe are worth more than $30,000.00 at minimum.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


I agree with my colleagues. You are being taken advantage of. Seek your own attorney ASAP.


Being offered a tiny nuisance settlement is what happens when you don't retain a personal injury lawyer. Get a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee, so you don't get hurt twice


That is far too low for those injuries.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer