Skip to main content

Is 2500 a reasonable amount to except from an insurance company for and Auto accident?

San Diego, CA |

I was in a car accident on a major highway in a snow storm at the beginning of last year. My car was side swiped on the passenger side while I was not moving from a car going about 45-50 mph. The police were called and a report written. My car was totaled and I sustained injuries . I had multiple er visits and also was in sessions with a chiropractor for a couple of months.. I got in writing that the insurance company would cover all hospital bills related to the accident and some of them were not and have been sent to collections totaling over $10,000. I know there is a 3 year limitation and I am not sure what my options are. I am unemployed at the moment ( not connected to the accident) and my resources are limited. The insurance company is constantly sending paperwork to settle

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


With medical bills over $10,000, I don't think the insurance company is offering fair settlement. Additionally, in California the statute of limitations for personal injury is 2 years and not 3. You are entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, if any, future loss of wages, if any, out of pocket costs, pain and suffering and more. I highly recommend you to contact a personal injury lawyer, who will maximize your recovery and recover compensation that you deserve. We handle Personal Injury cases all over California and offer free consultations.

Jasmine Gevorkyan, Esq. (818) 497-8565 Direct (free consultations)

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


The quick answer is that the settlement offer is not sufficient. You need to be compensated, not just for your medical bills but for your pain and suffering, loss of income and other loss you have suffered from the accident. The statute of limitations in California, if that is where the accident ocurred, is generall TWO YEARS, not three, although the insurance company also had a duty to warn you of the statute of limitation. Our office has handled a number of cases involving automobile accidents and we would be happy to discuss your case. We do not charge attorney fees unless there is a recovery.


That is a ridiculously low offer based on your fact pattern. Reach out to an attorney for a free consultation related to valuing your damages & also what could be your misunderstanding related to the statutes of limitation.


You should talk to a good San Diego personal injury attorney like the ones responding to this post.

Good luck.


If recommend you consult with a California personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You only have two years from the date of the accident to file a complaint with the court in a personal injury case or you will be forever barred from doing so. The insurance company has not made a fair offer to you. Feel free to contact me or one of the other excellent AVVO attorneys for a free consultation.

Barron Law Corporation 916-486-1712 or 800-529-5908. No attorney client relationship is created by this answer.


That offer sounds very low. You should be mindful that the insurance adjustor is not your friend and does not have your best interests in mind. The stautute of limitations for a ersonal injury claim is 2 years from the date of the accident. The statute of limitations for a property damage claim is 3 years from the date of the accident. You should contact an attorney who is experienced in handling personal injury claims.


The answer is no. You need to consult with a Personal Injury Lawyer immediately. Almost all take cases on a contingent fee arrangement. Therefore, your current financial situation will not affect your ability to hire a lawyer. A good lawyer will likely get you much more than the insurance Company is offering.

Be careful of the Statute of Limitations. Sounds like you could have your facts wrong.


This sounds like a very low offer especially considering your medical bills incurred are more than what their offer is. You should speak to some local personal injury lawyers about the specifics of your case as most offer free consultations. If you retain a lawyer for your case most personal injury lawyers would take this case on a contingency basis, meaning the lawyer would take the fees out as a percentage of any recovery obtained and you would not have to pay any fees upfront.

David M. Boertje, Esq.
(619) 229-1870

*Please note that this is not legal advice and in no way formed an attorney-client relationship*


The offer from the insurance company is VERY LOW for the amount of damages you have suffered. The insurance company does not have your best interest in mind, as is typical in these types of cases. You need to obtain a competent PI Attorney ASAP. My office offers free consultations, as well as contingency fee agreements, which means that your current financial situation will not prevent you from competent legal representation. Call our office at 858-764-2485 to set up your free consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer