Skip to main content

Is $22.000 enough for my joint sponsor to support me for my green card ?? All answer will be appreciated. Thanks

Brooklyn, NY |

I am an international student with an expired f-1 student visa, it expired 5 months ago. I am married to an American citizen, but she doesn't make enough money. Her best friend wanna help us, but she makes only $22.000, and she doesn't claim nobody. Is that enough for her to be my sponsor ?? And i don't know if this will help, but in two months i will have on my bank account around $ 7.000. Can that help ? Thank you so much

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Assuming that your your spouse's best friend has no dependants and is not currently sponsoring another immigrant, she would only need to have income of $18,912.

However, I strongly suggest that you contact a lawyer for a comprehensive assessment, whether myself or one of my colleagues. In addition, you should consider retaining a lawyer to assist you with this process. The benefits far outweigh the costs, especially considering the extra months that you would have to wait if your application were denied the first time around.

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


Depends on your household number. If it is 2 people, then it should be sufficient. Also, showing funds in the bank account is great source to show you will be financially stable to support your spouse.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


If the joint sponsor has no other dependents, and has not sponsored any other immigrants, then $22,000 per year will be sufficient. I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney about your case.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


If your wife's friend has no dependents then the amount is enough if she can prove it with current income statements or pay checks and past recent federal income tax returns/transcripts and a US passport or US birth certificate with state ID or a green card. However your wife is still the sponsor and they both need to file an 1-864. I would urge you to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer before filing as there are many details that need to be reviewed before submitting the affidavit of support and evidence.

DISCLAIMER: The information you obtained in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice and it should not be construed as a formation of a client-attorney relationship or legal representation, which can only occur after the execution of a formal engagement letter or retainer agreement. For a FREE Consultation call (212) 804-5770 or visit us at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer