IRS not issuing my refund. What can I do?

Huntley, IL |

We are a family of 5 and IRS owes us over $8,000 in federal refund, similar amount as for the past few years. We e-filed with the help of our tax person on 4/6/14. In mid May I was told by our tax man to contact the IRS and when I called they told me I have to complete ID verify (they suspected identity theft but that was a false alarm). Once I did that I was told our refund will be released for processing. On 6/1 I called and was told that everything seems fine and I should either hear from them within 30 days or our refund will be DD. On 7/3 I called them again and this time I was told to call back after 60 days. Is there anything I can do to speed this up or at least to find out what the problem is? They will not tell us the reason for this holdup and did not give any explanation.

Yes you should call back after 60 days as instructed

That's not what I was asking. I actually can't wait 60 more days because our refund's been overdue for over 2 months already. I was asking what else I could do to speed this up..

This number is the direct number for the accounts department. 1-800-829-0922. Tell the agent that you are inquiring about the status of your refund and want to know where it is in the process. If in the event that they are auditing you, find out what type of documentation they need from you in order to complete the processing of the tax return. If they say that your return is "in process" or otherwise do not want to speak with you, then demand to speak with a supervisor. In my experience, the agents in the accounts department are usually pretty helpful.

Thank you. This is actually a very helpful answer. I appreciate you taking your time to respond to my problem.

Dennis Adam Birr

Dennis Adam Birr

You're welcome. Glad to help you. Hopefully, this will get you closer to a resolution. Unfortunately, this is a common problem with the IRS. Tax returns frequently go into an IRS Limbo without any type of correspondence or communication from the IRS telling the taxpayer what is going on with the return. Good luck to you.