Skip to main content

IRS, Social Security and Welfare,works for cash

San Bernardino, CA |

IRS, Social Security and Welfare

At civil trial in federal court yesterday, the plaintiff stated (under oath) that he had not filed his taxes since at least 1999, was collecting welfare and has started collecting social security benefits. (He's 59 1/2)

He works as an "entertainer" and all of his pay from those gigs is cash.

Can someone who not filed taxes in over 20 years collect welfare and social security benefits?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


For welfare - by applying for the benefits and not providing all the required information or providing inaccurate information.

For Social Security - by applying and meeting the eligibility requirements (there is no requirement that one file income taxes in order to receive Social Security benefits.)

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.


If they were a very unsuccessful entertainer, I don't see why not?

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.


I am not sure what you are trying to get at (i.e. reporting illegal activity). However, if the entertainer earned over $400 per year, he had a requirement to file tax returns. Failure to do so would be considered a criminal offense. And, failure to do so for 20 years would be high on the IRS priority list to convict if they can.

As for welfare and social security, the previous answers appear adequate.

Good luck.


Marty Davidoff,, 732-274-1600. This answer is provided for general information only. You should seek advice from an attorney or tax professional.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer