Skip to main content

Involuntary termination of parental rights if mentally ill

Pittsburgh, PA |

My ex and I have been divorced for almost 3 years. I've been supervising visits the entire time because he is mentally ill and has not maintained long-term treatment. He has recently gotten severely worse to the point where he was fired from his job. He loves our kids and has always paid child support and kept in contact with our two children, but I'm wondering if we can involuntarily terminate his parental rights so their step-dad can adopt them. With his history of not following treatment plans, I don't believe he will ever be a responsible or stable parent. Can parental rights be terminated based on mental illness? We have discussed voluntary termination with him and he is considering, but will we even be able to voluntary if he may not be completely coherent?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Under some circumstances you can petition the court to terminate parental rights. I recommend that you contact a family law attorney for a free consultation to discuss the specific facts in your case in greater detail.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer