Skip to main content

Invasion of privacy with a cell phone company- am I entitled to sue? Caused me to lose my family!

Orange, CA |

I just got my phone bills released to an unauthorized person, I have my account with the cellular company password protected and an employee accessed my account pretending he verified a picture ID and gave out private information. I'm a female, the unauthorized person who got my bills is a male, my name is a 100% female name, I don't even live in the city where the account was accessed. I want to sue my cell phone company, I lost my family as a result of a BiG problem caused by that. am I entitled to sue them?

I didn't lose My family as in death of anyone.but I lost contact with them due to a big fight, I won't be able to talk to them or even see them.m

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can certainly sue the phone company but you need to show damages and/or contractual breach. If an employee of the phone carrier made a mistake you should need to prove it. However, the damage you claim, losing contact with your family, is quite hard to prove. In this respect more facts are needed and your description of the event is superficial. My recommendation is to work with an attorney in your area. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


" employee accessed my account pretending he verified a picture ID and gave out private information. I'm a female, the unauthorized person who got my bills is a male, my name is a 100% female name, I don't even live in the city where the account was accessed."

Is this an accident, or are you alleging that someone deliberately and fraudulently gained access to your information?

The issue is documenting damages from the alleged breach of security. It appears some sort of family schism occurred, but that is not quantifiable.

IF you can prove fraud and harm, you might have a viable claim. Contact the CA and Orange County bar associations for referrals.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


I am sorry this has happened to you. The facts you provide suggests that someone intentionally misled the phone company to get this information. Unless the phone company can be proven to have not taken reasonable steps to protect your information, there would be no liability. Keep in mind that voices can be easily altered electronically to sound like a female. Check out how many sites can do that for you on the internet. Additionally, a male can use a falsetto voice to fake a girl, and who is to know better on the other side of the call, especially if that person provides private information to verify the identity.

The culprit here is not the phone company who was defrauded into giving up the information. The culprit is the person doing the defrauding. It may well be you have an invasion of privacy case against that person, but I don't see it against the phone company.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer