Skip to main content

International marriage but divorce in US

Boston, MA |

I got married 5 and half years ago in my country (IRAN) and i have a marriage contract which is 200 gold coins. now i'm separated from my husband and i wanna get divorce from him here in US.
Does US court Accept my marriage contract which is from my Iran?
Can i ask him to give me these coins that shows in the contract?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is possible that a Massachusetts Court will enforce your marriage contract. The court should view your contract the same as any other marriage contract. If the contract was voluntarily entered by both parties who were competent, with full disclosure by both parties, was fair at the time it was created and remains fair at the time of divorce then the court may enforce the contract. You should consult a divorce lawyer who can review your situation.

THIS COMMUNICATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE CREATION OF AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. Legal rights vary greatly depending on specific facts, and it is impossible on the basis of the recitation of a few facts to determine whether or not an individual has a viable case, what is the full range of options, or what limitations exist which may bar an individual's potential claims. ON THE BASIS OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED TO ME, I RECOMMEND THAT YOU PROMPTLY CONSULT AN ATTORNEY TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE OF LEGAL RECOURSE, IF ANY, YOU MAY HAVE. YOU SHOULD NOT RELY ON ANYTHING I HAVE STATED AS ADVICE TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN TO CONSULT AN ATTORNEY TO DISCUSS FULLY AN APPROPRIATE COURSE OF ACTION.


yes you can file for divorce but I doubt the court will enforce the gold clause in the Iranian marriage contract.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances. No one should act or refrain from acting based on these comments without seeking appropriately licensed legal or professional advice. The author disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on his comments.


You can get a divorce in the U.S. I assume your husband is still in Iran. If the U.S. court accepts the contract and makes it a part of the Decree, you will have a very difficult time enforcing this as the Iranian Court will not honor a U.S. court order. The only way to enforce the contract is to go to court in Iran and request that the contract be enforced. If your husband is in the U.S. then it should be a legally enforceable contract.

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer