Skip to main content

Injured pedestrians insurance company wants to me to reimburse them for medical bills they had to pay-out because of accident.

Detroit, MI |

I live in Michigan. I was involved in an accident on my driveway with a pedestrian. Can the injured persons insurance company come after me to reimburse them for the medical bills they had to pay to their insured because I had no insurance on my car? I have received 2 letters so far from his insurance company claiming I owe the insurance company for the medical bills because my car was not insured. Are they buffing or can they come after me for the money?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


No they are not bluffing and can go after you.


Yes, you may be exposed to liability for the medical bills. Speak with a MI personal injury attorney about the specifics of your case.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II


good call


Unfortunately yes. You need to immediately consult with an attorney to see what can be done.


They aren't bluffing


Yes, they can try to sue you.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.


I doubt they are bluffing. The pedestrian's medical coverage obviously has a subrogation clause which states that they have the right to pursue you in the event you cause injury for which they have to pay their insured, the pedestrian.

I suggest that you attempt to work out a reasonable amount and payment schedule to satisfy their claim. Hopefully you have now obtained insurance for your vehicle. No one should own or operate any motor vehicle without maintaining adequate automobile liability insurance coverage on it at all times.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If your laws are similar to OK, not only can they seek the funds from you, they can impact your driver's license until the matter is resolved. You need to not ignore the matter.


They are not bluffing. The problem is that The accident is covered under No Fault. If you don't have insurance you don't get protected under the act. You may want to talk to a lawyer and let them investigate and try to negotiate a deal. Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer